Monday, November 17, 2014

I can't believe it! I actually completed some blocks this month!!!!

October was a pretty busy month. I will blog about some more of the happenings later, but now I need to post about the blocks I completed for the 350 block challenge at  Prairie Moon.


No 1 block
This is a block I started in a workshop with Jim Gatlin called The Insanity Block as is this next block. It was a really fun class!

No 2 block!
No 3-18
These are a few of the 16 10" blocks I made in a printing workshop at AR Quilt Congress. I actually made a lot more, but I intend to cut them up so I am not counting them in my total blocks. The workshop was a blast. We printed with stamps, bubble wrap, cardboard, netting, styrofoam, feathers, and plant parts. The plant parts were my favorite! I have fallen in love with papyrus. The blocks that look like fireworks were printed with papyrus. It is not a perennial in our neck of the woods so I will wait until next spring to buy a plant.  We also used ferns, peacock feathers, red bud leaves, weeds and various other plant parts.


 
                No 19-22
These are snail trail blocks I made to go into a bigger project. Stay tuned!

No 23
This is a small, modern block.

No 24
This is a small foundation paper pieced block that will be part of a quilt I will be making to commemorate my favorite childhood book, The Hundred Dresses. It is a story of bullying and really touched me as a child. My friend, Liz, was working on dog and cat foundation pieced blocks at our retreat and they looked like dresses to me. 


No 25
This is a small quilt top made from a pattern I bought while on vacation this summer. I think it will go in our small quilt auction in April.

No 26 and 27
These are the larger wall hanging tops made from the silverware pattern. They will be a Christmas present. Don't they remind you of the giant forks and spoons of the 50's and 60's? I actually have some of those painted in bright colors above my kitchen cabinets. They are made from a combination of new and vintage fabrics.

No 28
This is a quilt top that I am counting as one block which was made from a jacket and a couple of place mats bought at a resale shop. At our quilt retreat in Eureka Springs we went on a field trip to a resale shop to find things that we could recycle into quilted items. I wish I had taken a before pic of the jacket! It kind of has a Picasso look to it. Reminds me of an eye which is crying. 

So my grand total for October was 28. That now makes a total for the year of 382! Two more months--I think I'll crack 400 easily by the end of the year.

Kathy


4 comments:

  1. Good work! Love the snail's trail block.
    I'll have to read The Hundred Dresses book and see if I remember it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lila, it was written by Eleanor Estes and won a Newberry award in 1945(before my time BTW). I have found copies at yard sales. I just recently read it to my grands.

      Delete
  2. I am so impressed with your work. You are so creative and willing to do new things. I am in awe of the classes and retreats you attend. I love the "sunflower" block. Hats off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the fork and spoon for the small quilt auction! Your retreat piece design is wonderful. You made art out of a questionable jacket! :)

    ReplyDelete